Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Teaching kids effective communication


I had done this activity in grade school. As a class we were told to work in groups so our teacher gave us exercises in what he called, effective communication and trust. Being young I had no clue what this activity had to do with anything, but once I began working with kids I realized what he was doing. He had us do this activity every now and then...and we got through the obstacle courses faster as we lead one another through. It's things like this that really stood out to me in grade school.

The Blindfolded Walk:
To play this game, create an obstacle course. Then assign players to one of two roles. Blinded players will wear blindfolds. Leaders will take blinded players by the hand and attempt to lead them through the course. Talking is encouraged and when they are finished the players should reverse their roles.

1 comment:

Theresa Milstein said...

I think this version of a trust game sounds awesome. I'm sure the kids get really into it!